Saturday, July 26, 2014

100 Days

Today, July 26, 2014

Have you ever been to a state penitentiary?  It is a literal cage for humans, rats in their holes desperate for cheese, friends, warmth.  All do their best to adapt I suppose, some use their talents to pass the time, some read, some cling to religion, and some just go out right crazy. Even in the visiting area I find it's cold there, the air smells of rubber, dust, and cement. The guards wear tazers and have night sticks and they jingle when they walk like the creepy guys on E.T. And yet.... he's so happy.  He's one of the lucky ones that was able to find Jesus in the depths of hell, to repent of his wicked ways and change.  In turn he's been protected by God's grace and I'm sure a few of his Holy Angels. He's so different I don't even recognize him.  I love to see his eyes glow with hope and aspiration instead of flat-line with dis-pear and the misery of being high.  He smiles and laughs now and is so concerned about my feelings.  I like this new guy.... and in one hundred days maybe he can start to show me that Jesus can be with him out here too... One hundred days and counting.


No comments:

Post a Comment